Saturday, March 23, 2013

Struck By Lightning

{Book Review: Struck by Lightning by Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt on Glee}


Hi!

About three weeks ago, I saw this book sticking out of a shelf at my local library. I picked it up “just because” and I’m so glad I did! Struck by Lightning may be the coolest book I’ve ever read. I’m not exaggerating; I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. Chris Colfer is so witty, and his funny outtake on life is put forward so well in this novel. The main reason I loved it was that it was extremely modern. It was relatable and hilarious. I actually had to physically stop myself from bursting into laughter during class - where I was supposed to be studying – because this book is jam packed with satire, droll and side-splitting comedy. I could not recommend it enough.

I don’t want to give away the story, so all I will say is that the book is about a guy named Carson Phillips, an aspiring journalist who will do anything to get into his university of choice. The high school stereotypes are hugely exaggerated in this novel, with surprising twists in characters back stories.

This book was written after the movie, of the same name, came out last year. It is based on the screenplay, which is also written by Chris Colfer. He stars in the movie, too, so I have to give him standing ovation for this amazing achievement…

 *stands up, starts clapping*

I love this book so much that I’m hoping I’ll receive it as an early Christmas present. Maybe they should start introducing Easter presents.  It’s just a thought.

This book, however, is not for the faint-hearted. There are a lot of themes that are not appropriate for younger children. Also, many rude words. Please don't let your younger sibling flick through it, you might get a telling off from your parents when the rascal asks them what #!@*^#% means. 

So, go on, go get this book out of your library. Go!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment