Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why You Should Go To Op-Shops

Hey there!

Okay, so as the title blatantly suggests, I'm thoroughly into "op-shopping". It's a great way to spend a few extra coins here and there, and score yourself some outrageous bargains on otherwise expensive items. This afternoon, I was at the local village (no cows, no sheds, no hay - we're not living in Fiddler on the Roof, this is the 21st Century) when I came across the old hospice op-shop. It's been there for ages, but I'd never really gone inside until this year. It actually is an amazing place. Look beneath the dusty clothes and broken VHS cassettes and you could find yourself something pretty cool.



Today, I happened to find the book "About a Boy" by Nick Hornby (the movie stars Nicholas Hoult and Hugh Grant) and a 2010 British Vogue. Now, for all of you living in Britain, Vogue may not be that big of a deal to you, it's not that expensive and they print regularly. However, for people in New Zealand, the magazine arrives about three-quarters of the way through the month, and cost up to the equivalent of ₤10. I know, ridiculous. Unfortunately, freight costs add up by the time they reach the Pacific. Finding a Vogue, and paying 50 cents for it was unbelievable.



A couple of months ago, my father found this cute little shelf in a Salvation Army op-shop, which coincidentally matched the other one in my room. It cost NZD$6 and is now a display shelf hanging beside my dresser. It's amazing how one person's junk is another person's treasure. Give op-shopping a go. You might find exactly what you were looking for!


Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment